Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Doctor Lance O'Sullivan

Doctor Lance O'Sullivan is a Maori Doctor who lives in Kaitaia, Northland.  In 2014 he was named New Zealander of the year for improving the health and well being of patients and local community.  He set up the first full time health school in Northland.

While learning about how to stay healthy I found these Five easy things 10 year olds can do each day: Eat at least one peace of fruit a day, eat lots of vegetables, get eleven hours of sleep, drink 1.5 Litres or about 7 glasses of water a day and have at least an hour of vigorous activity a day and no more than two hours of screen time (including television) a day.

Children and teenagers who regularly drink soft drinks and other sweetened drinks are more likely to be overweight.  From 2 years of age children should drink reduced fat milk. It contains much the same nutrients as full cream milk but is lower in unhealthy saturated fats and lower in energy.

To stay healthy I play hockey and Squash so I have to go to trainings and games.  I also enjoy going for runs walks and swimming.  One of my favourite things is going for bike rides with my family and friends.   

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Benjamin, this is Kieryn from the Summer Learning Journey.
    Well done for participating in the Summer Learning Journey and creating this blog post about five easy ways you can stay healthy.
    You have started this blog post with some outstanding information about Doctor Lance O’Sullivan! I never knew that he was a Maori Doctor from Kaitaia, or that he was named New Zealander of the year in 2014 for improving the health and wellbeing of patents and local community, so thank you for sharing this new information!
    The tips you have included on how to stay healthy are great. Eating at least one piece of fruit per day, eating lots of vegetables, getting eleven hours of sleep each night, drinking 1.5L of water each day, and having at least one hour of vigorous exercise a day are all great examples of ways that we can remain healthy.
    You mentioned that in order to stay healthy you play both hockey and squash. Are you in a team for either of these sports, or do you participate in them for fun?
    One of your suggestions to maintain a healthy lifestyle included eating lots of veggies. What are some ways that you include a lot of vegetables in your diet?
    It would be great if you could reply to this comment and let me know!
    Keep up the excellent work!
    Nga mihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. For hockey each Winter some coaches from my club come and pick their teams. So the teams that you get picked into are the ones that you are in for the whole winter. My club I play for is Southern United.

    For squash I have trainings on Wednesdays and Tuesdays I also play Inter Club Squash games on a Monday. For inter club we play as indiviuals. But earlier this year I got selected for a under elevens teams event. Canterbury Squash selected me. So my team and I went and played in Ashburton. My team won the South Island team event. Overall Canterbury won seven out of of eight of the divisions.

    Some ways I include fruit and vegetables in my diet is by eating some at each meal. For lunch if I have a Sandwich I usually have cheese but sometimes I have lettuce and and Tomato and cheese and Cucumber and carrot. I also have Carrot sticks in my Lunch. For dinner we always have Vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post