Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

ANZAC Day

ANZAC day marks the anniversary of the landing of Australian and New Zealand soldiers at gallipoli.   ANZAC day is the 25th of April.  The first Dawn service was in 1923.  Services are held at dawn because in battle, dawn was the best time to attack the enemy. Dawn services are held at 6 AM.  Dawn services are held to remember the soldiers who died in the First World War and all wars that have followed since. Soldiers would wake in the dark so at the first signs of light they were alert and awake. More than 11,000 ANZACS died at Gallipoli and more than 23,500 were wounded.  The poppy is a symbol from John McCrae's poem Flanders fields.  The poppy was the first flower to grow at the battle fields that is why it is a symbol for ANZAC Day.








                                                               Lest we forget.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Benjamin
    Fantastic blog on ANZAC day and the history surrounding it. I wasn't actually aware that was the reason why we celebrate ANZAC day at dawn. Are you or your family doing anything to remember the soldiers this coming ANZAC day? We have made a wreath that we will put on our letter box.
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,

    My family will be standing outside on ANZAC day at Dawn for about five minutes. We will also put the poppy we made in the garden that day to remember the soldiers in World War.

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Benjamin
    Great to see your blogging your learning - well done.
    Did you know, that the poppies grew so well in Flanders Fields after the war because the earth there was so well dug up from all the fighting? Max taught me this today during our reading lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Benjamin thanks for sharing this well written blog post. My great aunt used to make the poppies, as a volunteer with a manual machine, just like the one in your first picture. A few times she let me help her and I felt really proud. What will you be doing on Anzac Day this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs Carney,

    No I didn't know about the Poppies that is very interesting.

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs Finlaycene,

    This year for ANZAC Day We will be standing outside our house at Dawn for five minutes. What are you doing for ANZAC DAY?

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post